Skip to main content

First Time Mummies And Buying Syndrome



Hey Guys,

Let me use this opportunity to say Happy New Year to you all. It is better late than never. Wishing you all a beautiful one, full of good tidings and joyous moments.

Looking back and counting my blessings one by one, I realized my God has been faithful and I just can't help but thank him .... The thought and feelings have brought about this post actually (big grin)

I am so the culprit for this post. My God! You know when you just know you had this syndrome and I can't just stop feeling guilty.

I understand the zeal and anxiety of an expectant mum you know. I can remember vividly then when I go out and I find myself drooling in babies and children's section. Children have the most beautiful pieces called clothes and accessories ever! I just see myself awing and blushing.

When I realised I was pregnant with my first child, I was elated for two reasons. I was excited and also with a bit of mixed feelings. Firstly, I couldn't just believe I would soon become a mum and that something was growing inside of me ( very naive human being).
Secondly, I was super excited and couldn't thank God enough for I shall be buying all the dream clothes, shoes, shawls, unnecessary stuffs I have always craved. I can categorically tell you that this second reason was the reason I was super elated Lol....Did i hear you say weird? Sure, most mummies can relate to this (laughing) and mummies in the making, please come back here and share your own stories because I know some of you will do worse than I did.

God! I bought and bought and never stopped buying. At some points I was too heavy to go to stores and would start praying to God, please don't let my deliveries come when hubby is around ooo...Just because, I can buy for Africa..... He eventually tagged me, madam buy buy...LOL

Anyways, as much as I  understand the anxiety of having a child and the preparation that comes with it, I would like to advise expectant mums to keep their buying skills as minimal as possible. Honestly, you won't be needing most of the things bought. I know so because I have been there.

Children are different in so many ways. Just because madam A told you to buy  stuff she bought for her child doesn't mean your child will be needing same. Gosh!!! I wish I listened when I was advised, but you know, I turned deaf ears to all the advices ..... Please don't judge me biko.  At some points when hubby said did I not warn you about all these stuffs, I just wanted to justify the unjustifiable and I told him, my next baby will use them. Honestly guys, when the time comes,those stuffs would be outdated and new designs would be out which would definitely catch your fancy.

I would advice that you buy the basics and essentials . When I say basics, I mean stuffs to be packed in your hospital bags. Some of the stuffs in the hospital bags is not even needed so just try and narrow the list down a bit, the fewer the stuffs in the bag, the more organized you will be. You can find your hospital bag checklist here
As you start the whole journey with your baby, you can then buy when you actually see the need for that thing and how important it is. To be honest with you guys, in your heart of heart, you know when what you are about to buy is less important and otherwise. This is not rocket science, it is just the way it is.
Just to share with you things I bought and I regarded as a waste. Hopefully someone would be able to learn from my mistakes;


  1. Moses basket: Baby grew so big and couldn't sleep inside for more than a month.Image description 

2. Too many clothings: Baby grew really fast and wore some just once


3. Plenty shoes: Please where are they walking to just yet? plenty socks, I'd say Yes!


4. Carry cot: Never used as Moses basket served the purpose

5. Bouncer: Baby Hated it because of the vibration ( some babies actually love)

6. Breastfeeding chair: Apart from the fact that it took too much of my space, I couldn't be getting up to sit everytime baby wanted  to feed especially during night feeds

 





 7. Play pen: I had a play mat and baby cot could actually serve as a play pen


8. Feeding bottles: Baby didn't like it, she prefered the original source.....(correct baby..winks!)


9. Breast pump: Baby  never liked bottle, what's the use
 
 I'm sure some men would say prayers for me for this post. I am saying a big amen already oo.

Enoy your day guys!

Comments

Anonymous said…
God bless you mobolaji for this post...lol.
my boo just kept saying you see, can you hear now. this is from a fellow woman like u ooo, forgrtting you were once a buy buy too. honestly i cant stop laughing. most annoying part is i have been disturbing for money to buy this moses basket now and im sure he will not give me again ~crying
Bless u girl.... Nice write up and more grease to ur elbow

Popular posts from this blog

Take Pride In Building A Home

As parents, there are some basic things we shouldn't turn deaf ears to. Even though it might be hard to be there 100%, at least some things shouldn't be ignored. Irrespective of the part of the country or the world we all live  in, this can serve as a general guide to all parents. Some people believe taking care of a child and instilling discipline in them is solely the role of a woman but honestly it's not. Togetherness in parenting I believe will bring out the best in our children

Chronicles Of Motherhood

Motherhood is one heck of a job on its own if you asked me. It's a feeling full of loads of achievement and fulfillment. This milestone in a woman's life is so key and special. There is this feeling that comes with it that cannot just be explained. I call it a magical feeling.... This very moment, our lives changed forever.

Welcome Back Guys!!! Wondering Why I haven't Been Blogging???

Hi Guys!!! It feels so good to be back here. I didn't think I was going to leave this for too long but you know, this life is full of the unknown!!! Life is full of ups and downs and we all struggle one way or the other to make ends meet. The past year has been very challenging and difficult with a lot of transitions and transformations but I'm thankful to God to be back hale and hearty.