Skip to main content

Take Pride In Building A Home

As parents, there are some basic things we shouldn't turn deaf ears to. Even though it might be hard to be there 100%, at least some things shouldn't be ignored. Irrespective of the part of the country or the world we all live  in, this can serve as a general guide to all parents.
Some people believe taking care of a child and instilling discipline in them is solely the role of a woman but honestly it's not. Togetherness in parenting I believe will bring out the best in our children

I read these points  and decided to fine tune it according to my own beliefs and values.....

Never allow any adult refer to your child as 'my wife' or 'my husband';
I can honestly relate to this. Growing up then, I had this uncle who referred to me as his wife bla bla... you know all sorts of jokes now. When I see him I'd just see myself blushing you know. Not until one very day, I saw a wedding invitation from him to my parents...... God! I was devastated. All sorts came to my mind, I thought he said I was his wife,  I thought he was going to marry me......LOL. Only wished my parents knew how I felt when they got dressed up  and went to the wedding..............(Poor/ Silly me) Please don't judge the poor girl........

Whenever your child goes out to play with friends, make sure you look for a way to find out what kind of play they do, because young people now sexually abuse themselves.

Never force your child to visit any adult he or she is not comfortable with and also be observant if your child becomes too fond of a particular adult.

Once a very lively child suddenly becomes withdrawn you may need to patiently ask lots of questions from your child. There might be something bothering him/her. Be their confidant, let them always confide in you. Don't leave everything to their teachers, house help or friends. Allow them to always express themselves.

Carefully educate your grown ups about the right values of sex . If you don't, the society will teach them the wrong values. Thankfully, sex education is now part of most school's curriculum. But should the school be the first to tell your child(ren) about sex?(Topic for another day)

It is always advisable you go through any new material like the cartoons you just bought for them before they start seeing it themselves.

Ensure you activate parental controls on your cable networks and advise your friends especially those your child(ren) visit(s) often.

Teach your 3 year olds how to wash their private parts properly and warn them never to allow anyone touch those areas and that includes you (remember, charity begins from home and with you).

Blacklist some materials/associates you think could threaten the sanity of your child (this includes music, movies and even friends and families).

Let your child(ren) understand the value of standing out of the crowd.

Once your child complains about a particular person, don't keep quiet about it.Take up the case and show them you can defend them.

Remember, if a mother of the home is not always there, then it's not a home but just a house. If the father is not always there to communicate or have daily discussions with his family, then it's not a home but a mere accommodation.
To have a home you need a family and to have a family you need to communicate. To be able to communicate, you need to spend a reasonable amount of time together.
We can only try our best as parents and the rest should be left to God. I pray he perfects our ways and steps in life.

Comments

Unknown said…
What an inspiring food for thought!!!
Unknown said…
What an inspiring food for thought!!!
vandhana said…
Wow Mo!!! Very well said...
vandhana said…
Wow Mo!!!! Very well said!
vandhana said…
Wow Mo!!!! Very well said!
Unknown said…
Some of the recent events in the society these days are so scary! Moral values are grossly eroded & parents need to be at high alert for Wolves in sheep clothing. Well said Mo..
Unknown said…
TGIF.. Have a fabulous weekend my people!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Chronicles Of Motherhood

Motherhood is one heck of a job on its own if you asked me. It's a feeling full of loads of achievement and fulfillment. This milestone in a woman's life is so key and special. There is this feeling that comes with it that cannot just be explained. I call it a magical feeling.... This very moment, our lives changed forever.

Mercy Aigbe and hubby Finally tie the knot, Share cute romantic moments

Mercy is such a fashionista! Always on point. Love me some Mercy...... They got married today at Ikoyi Registry, Lagos.  They already had their traditional marriage years back but just decided to make it legal. Massive congrats to Mr and Mrs Gentry.