Skip to main content

Rivalry amongst children... Parents be aware!



Hi Guys,

Its been a while I wrote something here. Apologies for not being consistent guys. It's been all for good anyway. The kind of blogging style I have adopted ehnnn, I only want to write when I have a meaningful and important message to convey so please , bear with me (smiles)

I have had this topic for years now, but there has been no time to write. I bet the time is now and would like to keep it simple as usual....Its called 'Rivary'

'Rivalry' amongst kids is common these days and this is caused mostly by parents. In as much as I wouldn't want to pass blame as we are human, it's somehow evident. Most of us don't even have an idea we are showing preference for one child over the other and we need to be constantly reminded.
Kids are very intelligent, smart and they don't forget things so easily. They can spot differences at the earliest stage and that's why one needs to be mindful and concious of our actions towards and around them.

African mentality is said that, most men often take preference in their female children to their male children and its the other way for the women, that is a preference for their sons. Do you guys agree to this? I think I do to some extents and this is so, because I see it happening around me. Check your environs, I can bet you wouldn't agree less. Growing up, there will always be a favourite child in a home... That one child that can request for her father or his mother's eye and both will gladly say yes, that one sister you can always push to daddy to ask if you can watch Television when it's bed time....LMAO
At times I just go in deep thoughts and try to figure out how some odd things actually become a 'norm' in our society...This preference issue has always been in existence, I mean No be today, it don thee!

Talking about rivalry, this goes a very long way than we can ever imagine. Some children take it very likely while some don't. Some kids go to the extent of hurting themselves, some gang up against their siblings with their friends at school, neighbourhood etc.

Most of the times when I read from blogs, news etc. about sisters killing sisters, brothers killing themselves and all sorts, my heart bleeds and skips but honestly, do you think the grudge they have just started over night? I can bet the negative feelings and brooding had been there a long time. It only just took longer time to manifest.

As parents, we have a lot to do. Let us TRY as much as possible to strike a  balance between our children. Do not praise or spite one over the other. Even if one of your kids performed excellently and you are marvelled, and thrilled, you can praise him/her and say words of encouragement to the other if present at that moment.

Remember, each child is unique in their own ways and it only takes time for each child to reach a specific milestone. Don't rush or compare. It's definitely going to happen if you can be patient enough...

I honestly pray and hope I write something here before the end of the year which is actually in few day, but if I don't, I want to use this medium to wish everyone of my readers a Merry Xmas and Happy New year in advance. I pray this coming year brings forth good tidings and that all our dreams and aspirations come through just as we have always wished for AMEN.




Comments

Jamiu Adigun said…
I know my dad's favorite child growing up! Lol. Good one dear!
mobolaji said…
And who could that be? 😆
Anonymous said…
The one that always shows up around the corner of our area.
Pearl said…
Children of nowadays don't take preference lightly.As a parent one need to be mindful and treat each child as unique as they can be. Parents should always remind their children how much they love them.
Saheed said…
Who could dat be
Unknown said…
Hmm! Words for thought. Who knows maybe the spited would be the one to exalt the family name in the future.
Unknown said…
I think it's a part of who and what we are.....we sometimes can't help exercising favoritism towards a particular person amongst those closest to us.........but,let's watch it (I mean everyone)

Popular posts from this blog

Take Pride In Building A Home

As parents, there are some basic things we shouldn't turn deaf ears to. Even though it might be hard to be there 100%, at least some things shouldn't be ignored. Irrespective of the part of the country or the world we all live  in, this can serve as a general guide to all parents. Some people believe taking care of a child and instilling discipline in them is solely the role of a woman but honestly it's not. Togetherness in parenting I believe will bring out the best in our children

Chronicles Of Motherhood

Motherhood is one heck of a job on its own if you asked me. It's a feeling full of loads of achievement and fulfillment. This milestone in a woman's life is so key and special. There is this feeling that comes with it that cannot just be explained. I call it a magical feeling.... This very moment, our lives changed forever.

Welcome Back Guys!!! Wondering Why I haven't Been Blogging???

Hi Guys!!! It feels so good to be back here. I didn't think I was going to leave this for too long but you know, this life is full of the unknown!!! Life is full of ups and downs and we all struggle one way or the other to make ends meet. The past year has been very challenging and difficult with a lot of transitions and transformations but I'm thankful to God to be back hale and hearty.